So according to GalleyCat, there’s a new book coming up that looks at what romance novels tell us about society.
According to neuroscientists Ogi Ogas and Sai Gaddam, based on an analysis of 15,000 Harlequin books, the top ten professions for romance novel straight heroes are:
I like Number 3. It’s very non-specific. I’m assuming that refers to the boss of the romantic heroine. What does this list say about what (straight) women want in their leading men? What would the list be if we analysed 15,000 gay romance novels? No really, I want to know.
For the curious, the book is called A Billion Wicked Thoughts.
In other news, the Melbourne Rainbow Band are joining me at my book launch for The Secret of Talmor Manor to support the ALSO Foundation. They have a new CD out, called 15 & Fabulous and the track list looks pretty cool:
- The Dam Busters March
- The Man from Snowy River (Listen to an excerpt)
- Hold On, I’m Coming (Vocals: Julie Leder)
- Selections from ‘Hairspray’
- Pacem – A Hymn for Peace (Listen to an excerpt)
- The Doors in Concert
- Big Spender (Vocals: Julie Leder)
- The Genius of Ray Charles
- Tribute to Count Basie (Listen to an excerpt)
- Pilatus: Mountain of Dragons
CDs will be available for sale on the night, and a portion of all sales will be going to the ALSO Foundation, so remember, mark down the 20th of May in your calendars and come on down to enjoy the night! For those of you on Facebook, you can find the event here.